Tuesday 26 July 2011

From the Archives: "My memories of Maureen Forrester"

Subject : My memories of Maureen Forrester
Posted Date: : Jun 17, 2010 9:49 PM

When I woke up this morning I heard on the news that Maureen Forrester had died at the age of 79. She was one of Canada's most famous opera singers. Her death struck a personal chord with me because there was a time when we were well acquainted.

In 1983, I performed on the Variety Club (Ontario) telethon representing Sunny View Public School. I sang in the school's choir, and following our performance I was invited back on stage with an opera singer. I knew nothing about Maureen Forrester at the time, but I was aware that she was highly-respected.

From the moment we appeared on stage together, a connection was made. I don't remember what song she sang that night, but I recall her putting a lot of emotion and passion into her performance. I was mesmerized the entire time.

When the cameras cut away from us, she wanted to meet my family. She warmly and graciously shook hands with my parents, and let them know that she enjoyed singing to me. For the next five years, we would re-team for more performances.

In 1988, she released a CD of songs from the Great American Songbook, and she autographed one for me.

I think one reason why we connected so well together is because she loved being around children and youth. Having raised five children of her own, I'm sure she saw her appearances on the telethons as opportunities to relive a part of that experience.

Somebody on CBC Radio noted this morning that she never lost that childlike spirit and sense of wonder. I know looking back that she carried it with her every time she was on those telethons.

I heard about six years ago that she was not in good health. The last time I saw her was at a birthday party for local Toronto businessman Ed Mirvish (aka "Honest Ed"). I waved to her, and she looked in my direction, but I'm not sure if she remembered me. I certainly remembered her, and I will always cherish the kindness she showed me and my family. I'll also remember her rich and powerful contralto voice.

Good night, Ms. Forrester. Thank you for providing me with some fond childhood memories.

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture you shared. Lookin' good!

    There are some times in my life when I think about people who were important to me, but I don't remember their names. I remember my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Clark.

    But there were others besides her. It's good you can remember Ms. Forrester, and what an impact she had on your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was wonderful. I miss her. Thanks for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete