Friday 26 August 2011

Jack Layton

It has been a sad week in Canada as many people mourned the death of Jack Layton (age 61). Though he may not mean much to people outside of Canada, he was regarded as one of this country's more respected (if sometimes controversial) politicians.

As leader of the federal New Democratic Party (NDP), he was recently elected as the opposition leader against the re-elected Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his Conservatives. What makes Layton's death especially hard is that cancer struck him down before he had a chance to savour his victory. He was also at the height of his popularity, as he had promised to usher in a new era of change for Canadians.

I met Layton at a Christmas concert he hosted at one of the churches in Toronto in December 2004. I remember being overwhelmed by the crowds as I looked for a place to see the show. All of a sudden, I saw Layton with his hand stretched out, along with a smile. He welcomed me, and I remember telling him that I was looking forward to the concert.

Any cynical or jaded views I may have held prior to meeting him quickly melted away, because he made such a positive impression. Even though I didn't always agree with him politically, I admired his courage, passion, strength and tenacity. The fact that he championed the causes of people with disabilities was also a plus.

When he died this past Monday (August 22), his family released a farewell letter he had drafted just two days earlier. The whole letter was moving, particularly towards the end, which reads: "Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic, and we’ll change the world."

Today I paid my respects to Layton at Toronto's City Hall, where his political career began as a city councilor back in the '80s. In the condolence book I wrote that he made politics in Canada interesting, and that he will be missed. As I looked at the casket I thanked him and flashed a peace sign. He will be given a state funeral Saturday, something that is rarely granted to an opposition leader.

Jack Layton is gone, but this valiant warrior will never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My remembrances of Gordon Lightfoot

It was one year ago today that Canada and the world bid farewell to Gordon Lightfoot. I never met him, though there are three personal anecd...