Monday 17 March 2014

The difference between jealousy and envy

During a Bible Study I did four years ago, I learned the subtle distinctions between jealousy and envy. I thought the two words were interchangeable and meant the same thing. Apparently not so.

Jealousy seeks to have what another person has. Envy, however, seeks to destroy what another person has. The act of jealousy is considered passive. Envy is about putting jealousy into action. Envy is one of the seven deadly sins, next to pride, avarice, wrath, lust, gluttony and sloth. 

Jealousy is not considered a 'capital' sin, as outlined in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, because it does not engender other sins and vices. God is described in the Old Testament as "a jealous God" (Exodus 20:5) whenever people focus their attention away from Him in favour of worldly things, including other gods.

I post this blog for three reasons: 1) I need to be reminded of these distinctions again, 2) I've been wrestling with these unhealthy feelings of jealousy lately, and 3) I want to share this distinction with others, including those who may be experiencing a similar trial. I'm dealing with my jealousy issues now, and have faith that I will recover from them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My remembrances of Gordon Lightfoot

It was one year ago today that Canada and the world bid farewell to Gordon Lightfoot. I never met him, though there are three personal anecd...