Sunday 6 December 2020

My thoughts on eugenics and Bill C7

Normally I don't like to engage in discussions about the politics behind things making the news (e.g. COVID-19). I will make an exception for Bill C7. This proposed bill, if passed, will make it easier for people with disabilities to end their lives. This may please right-to-die advocates, but not those of us who believe our lives are of value. I am a person with a disability who opposes eugenics. I also believe that every person with a disability deserves to live, and have access to the same opportunities as anybody else. I also find it strange and disappointing that a party that passed a disability act in parliament is also in favour of a euthanasia bill. This worries me greatly. All this energy would be better spent removing societal barriers instead of passing a bill that says our lives are expendable. #nothingaboutuswithoutus

No comments:

Post a Comment

My remembrances of Gordon Lightfoot

It was one year ago today that Canada and the world bid farewell to Gordon Lightfoot. I never met him, though there are three personal anecd...