Thursday 31 March 2011

My memories of Roger Abbott


Photo from a 2003 Air Farce taping
It was nearly one week ago that Canada lost one of its most popular comedic actors. Roger Abbott is remembered primarily as a co-founder and member of the Royal Canadian Air Farce, a satirical comedy show on CBC. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times, mainly at Air Farce tapings I attended between 1999 and 2010.

I've met several celebrities over the years, but Roger Abbott to me was one of the friendliest and the funniest. He remembered me every time I went to a taping, and made a point to come and say hi. He would always be the first Air Farce member to come on stage and greet everyone in the audience with a warm-up routine. This usually consisted of a lively interaction and a clever quip or two. He treated everybody first class.

Roger did several impressions and characters on Air Farce during its 35-year run as a series (1973-2008). Anybody who listened to or watched the show has their favourites, but the ones I enjoyed of his were his impressions of Jean Chretien, George W. Bush, Regis Philbin, Don Cherry, Peter Mansbridge and David Crosby. He would effortlessly disappear into their characters and would send them all up brilliantly.

I also remember him as a great humanitarian who appeared on the annual Easter Seals telethon for children with disabilities. His Air Farce colleague Luba Goy said in an interview on CBC this week that he drew strength by being on that telethon.

CBC Television cancelled Air Farce at the end of 2008. However, Air Farce returned for two more New Year's Eve specials, in 2009 and 2010, respectively. Roger appeared in fine form and gave no indications that he was in poor health. This is why it was shocking to read he had been battling leukemia for the past 14 years. He kept his illness private from most people up until last week. He died last Saturday (March 26) at the age of 64.

I believe Roger, like his late Air Farce colleague John Morgan, has left behind a legacy of laughs and memories, and has established himself as a Canadian icon. I also believe that he fulfilled his mission to bring smiles and comfort to people needing to laugh in often difficult and confusing times.

May the Farce be with you in the afterlife, Roger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My remembrances of Gordon Lightfoot

It was one year ago today that Canada and the world bid farewell to Gordon Lightfoot. I never met him, though there are three personal anecd...