Friday 29 April 2011

What Pope John Paul II means to me

This Sunday, May 1, the late Pope John Paul II (Karol Wojtyła) is going to be beatified by the Roman Catholic Church. I am particularly excited about this event, as I've always regarded him as one of my favourite history-makers of the last century.

My admiration for JP2 goes back to the mid-1980s, long before I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour. His ability to draw people from all walks of life I find inspirational, including young people, the religious and even the non-religious. He presented himself as warm, loving and a man of peace. (He even bore an uncanny resemblance to my late grandfather!)

My earliest memory of him was when he visited Toronto in 1984. Around that same time I had a comic book which summarized his life story and the key events in his life. This included his early years in Poland, his first travels as a seminarian and a priest, right up to his election as pope in 1978 to the assassination attempt made on his life in 1981.

To me, Pope John Paul II was a fearless man who was filled with love, life in the spirit, wisdom and perseverance. He was also a man who encouraged Christian unity. The fact that he was able to deliver the gospel in the face of several adversities tells me that I can get through almost any situation as long as I have faith. I believe that his positive example helped to plant seeds in me.

Today I continue to meditate on the things he did during his incredible life, and I'm also getting myself acquainted with some of his writings. "Be not afraid" has become a mantra for my life. His life was truly blessed.

I'm sure it won't be long before he is canonized as a saint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My remembrances of Gordon Lightfoot

It was one year ago today that Canada and the world bid farewell to Gordon Lightfoot. I never met him, though there are three personal anecd...