Tuesday 17 January 2012

The day I met Muhammad Ali

In celebration of Muhammad Ali's 70th birthday, I thought I would tell you the story of how I got to meet this great athlete and humanitarian. 

It happened during the summer of 1985. I was 12 years old and visiting New York City for the first time. My parents and I had just stepped out of the Hilton Hotel to begin our day when I recognized Ali meeting with fans and reporters from a distance. I recognized him instantly after having seen clips of his famous boxing matches on TV. I told my parents to take me to where he was. As soon as he saw me, we shook hands and got this photo taken. He also shook hands with my dad. He was extremely friendly and gracious to all of us. Meeting the man often dubbed The Greatest became one of my greatest memories. 

I've met several celebrities over the years, and I rank meeting Muhammad Ali as one of the greatest of all.

Though I only got to meet him that one time, I did see him again live in Toronto in 2002. The city and the Toronto Argonauts football team honoured him for his sports career, and for his work in raising money for a cure for Parkinson's disease. When I met him he was already in the early stages of this disease. Though it had progressed by the time I saw him again 17 years later, he managed to retain a larger-than-life presence.


I hope The Great One of Boxing enjoyed his birthday today. Here's to you, champ!

2 comments:

  1. what a beautiful memory to hold dear to :). Thank you for sharing this Donald
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never met Mohammad Ali, but I met Flip Wilson once.


    He came to visit a hospital I was in, after recovering from some fractures. So here I am, a little girl in this full body cast and I have a magic wand that I tap him with.


    He probably was doing it for publicity, but I didn't care. It was kind of fun.


    I like Mohammad Ali. I don't know much about him, but from what little bit I know of him, he seems like a kind upstanding man.


    Just out of curiosity, do you come out to the States often?

    ReplyDelete