Monday 16 January 2012

From the Archives: "Grandparents Day and Betty White" (9/12/2011)

In honour of Betty White's 90th birthday, I am re-posting this blog from last September. Love ya Golden Girl, xo.

Grandparents Day and Betty White

Yesterday (Sept. 11) was Grandparents Day. It usually falls on the second Sunday in September. Though this year's Grandparents Day was overshadowed by the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy, and understandably so, it wasn't too far from my mind. Since 2006 it has become my day to honour and remember my grandparents. I got to know three of my four grandparents, and I cherish all the memories I have of them.

About six months ago I had a dream where I got to meet comedic actress Betty White. I've been a fan of hers since watching her play Rose on The Golden Girls back in the '80s. Coincidentally, she shares the same birthday as my maternal grandmother (January 17), and I've sometimes fantasized about adopting her as my grandmother in the 17 years she's been gone.

In my dream I was in Los Angeles, and had tickets to see a taping of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. I'm a Leno fan, and I got excited when I heard that he had invited Betty White as one of his guests for the evening. I must have taken leave of my senses at this point, because without hesitation, I devised a plan to get up close and personal with her.

Security at the NBC Studio must have been lax that evening, because I easily managed to slip pass the guards by sitting near the green room, where guests lounge out before going on stage. It wasn't long before I saw Betty White, and I wasted no time in saying hello to her. When she saw me, she was very kind and sweet towards me, and somehow understood that I was a harmless admirer.

After I gushed over her work on TV and film, I asked if I could make her my honourary grandparent now that my real ones are gone. She found my request flattering, and was touched by the sentiment. She added that though she couldn't commit to fulfilling this role, she appreciated the offer. She then kissed me and wished me well. She also encouraged me to watch her new TV series, Hot in Cleveland.

The woman is 89 going on 90, and shows no signs of slowing down. I've watched her new show, and by my account she's still got it.

Betty, if you're reading this blog, I want you to know that I love my honourary grandma. You are truly golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment