Wednesday 7 November 2012

My M*A*S*H Challenge

Two months ago, at the beginning of September, the famous TV comedy-drama series M*A*S*H celebrated its 40th anniversary. It was also around this time that I started watching it regularly, right from the first episode. I'd known about M*A*S*H for a long time, and remember glancing at the reruns as a kid, including the epic finale. I even had some of the action figures and the jeep.

However I wasn't a fan, mainly because I couldn't understand its content or premise. Now, nearly 30 years after the last episode aired, I found myself hooked. It was worth the long wait.

M*A*S*H is a fictionalized version of the Korean War that lasted from 1950 to 1953, told from the point of view of medics at a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital. M*A*S*H started as a novel before Robert Altman turned it into a hugely-successful movie in 1970. The TV series, starring Alan Alda, Loretta Swit, Gary Burghoff and Jamie Farr, resulted from the movie's success. It was so popular that it lasted for 11 seasons, from 1972 to 1983 - nearly four times as long as the real Korean War!

The movie with Donald Sutherland, Elliott Gould, Sally Kellerman and Gary Burghoff shows the dark side of war in a satirical tone. So far I've seen almost four of the 11 seasons on History TV Canada. I've also watched some of the later episodes, including "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" in its entirety.

I enthusiastically took up the challenge of watching all 251 episodes of this classic TV show. It will likely take me until March 2013 to see it all.

There will be more M*A*S*H in my blog, but for now, as the Col. Henry Blake character would say, "abyssinia."

No comments:

Post a Comment

My remembrances of Gordon Lightfoot

It was one year ago today that Canada and the world bid farewell to Gordon Lightfoot. I never met him, though there are three personal anecd...