Friday 23 November 2012

Not Being Elmo: A sad story


I have always been a fan and admirer of Sesame Street and the Muppets, so you can imagine how sad I felt this week when longtime performer Kevin Clash resigned from Sesame Street after 28 years.

Though I was past the normal viewing age for Sesame Street when Clash started lending his voice to the furry red monster Elmo, I did grow up hearing him as Goriddle Gorilla on the non-Muppet production, The Great Space Coaster. In my adult years I watched some of the Elmo-led specials, and some of the other Muppet projects Clash contributed to, usually as other characters.

When news of the scandals broke, I decided from the outset to refrain from judgment. I'm still not going to make any judgments about Clash or his personal life. What I will state is that it's going to be hard to separate the most popular Sesame Street character from the man who helped make him a star.

I loved watching the documentary made about Clash, Being Elmo, a few months ago. Seeing it now, is going to make for a very different experience.

I wish Clash all the best with whatever creative endeavour he chooses to pursue in the future. I feel badly for the kids who watch Sesame Street, because they are hurting the most by his departure. I also hope that whoever comes along to perform Elmo in the future will retain the integrity of the character, as a teaching tool for those who find him fun and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment