Saturday 16 February 2013

What the Diamond Jubilee Medal means to me

TV personality George Stroumboulopoulos (left) presented me with the Diamond Jubilee Medal (Feb. 6, 2013)
Earlier this month, I was one of only a few Canadians to receive a Diamond Jubilee Medal. In my case, it was for my community involvement with disability organizations such as Lights Camera Access, a group that supports people with disabilities looking to work in the performing arts or in mainstream media.

The medal was issued as part of Queen Elizabeth II’s 60th anniversary as the monarch of Britain and the British Commonwealth. The medal recognizes significant achievements and contributions made by Canadians during her Diamond Jubilee year. The year concluded this month with a final medal presentation at Toronto’s Roy Thomson Hall.

It all began for me on New Year’s Day. A friend called me and said she had received a package addressed to her office with my name on it. It had the official seal from the office of the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, David Onley. Neither of us knew what it was for. I speculated it was an invitation to David Onley’s farewell gathering since his term as the Queen’s provincial representative is ending soon. (Onley is a renowned advocate for the disabled, and I’ve had the pleasure of meeting him several times over the years.)

Me with David Onley (left), Lieutenant Governor for the province of Ontario
The package came with an invitation to the final medal ceremony, along with a letter from the Lieutenant Governor. The letter said I would be presented with this medal. When I read it through the first time I wasn’t sure I was reading it correctly. Somebody later pointed out to me that I was indeed getting this medal.

The reason why I experienced so much disbelief is because it all seemed too good to be true. To this day I still don’t know who nominated me. I even questioned whether I was truly deserving of such an honour. I also wondered if I should accept the medal since I haven’t always been a cheerleader for the monarchy.

So what does the Diamond Jubilee Medal mean to me? To me it validates that I am a Canadian with something to offer, and strives to set a positive example to other Canadians. Being able to share this medal with other honourees makes me proud and happy. It also tells me that I have made a difference, and that I need to keep on going.

When I decided to attend the ceremony and accept the medal, I wrote a message on Twitter, saying, “To whoever nominated me for the Diamond Jubilee Medal, I salute you… and thank you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

My remembrances of Gordon Lightfoot

It was one year ago today that Canada and the world bid farewell to Gordon Lightfoot. I never met him, though there are three personal anecd...