Tuesday 31 December 2013

My birthday speech from June 2013


As 2013 draws to a close, I'd like to share a speech I delivered on the big birthday bash I had more than six months ago. This is the first time I'm sharing it with people outside of the party environment. I think this speech is also a good way to close out the year. See you next year.

Hi, thank you all for coming to my 40th birthday Open House. Just to let you know, this speech is going to be 40 minutes long...

First of all, I want to thank my parents for allowing me to give them the best 40 years of their lives. I know they couldn’t have functioned without me. I believe my life would be very different without them.

Throughout my life I have been motivated to seek new challenges and build a social network. This was long before there was ever a Facebook. I am proud of the many acknowledgements and achievements I’ve received. What I’m most proud of is being able to experience many things and make the most of what I have. I’m also happy to have been able to persevere through all the good and bad times. I look forward to whatever lies ahead, both personally and professionally.

(At this point, I take a few minutes saying thanks and expressing gratitude and appreciation to all the guests. I address them all individually, and tell them how much they have meant to me over the years.) 

A few days ago, another relative of mine, who isn’t here today, emailed me and wrote, “Time speaks to us as your 40th birthday will. 40 is the end of youth, but it is on the youthful side of old age.” This may be true, but I intend on keeping the energy and spirit of youth in me alive for as long as possible. I don’t want to grow up to the point of losing my sense of fun and spontaneity. I wish to maximize what I have, and share it with others.

I am blessed and thankful for having reached this milestone, and also for all the days that came before. I hope we will continue to maintain strong ties for the next 10 years, if not the next 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My remembrances of Gordon Lightfoot

It was one year ago today that Canada and the world bid farewell to Gordon Lightfoot. I never met him, though there are three personal anecd...