Monday 30 December 2013

My thoughts on the changes to Disney's park policies

Last October, Disneyland and Walt Disney World made major changes to their park policies in regards to servicing visitors with disabilities. I've been asked to give my thoughts on this situation since I happen to be a person with a physical disability. To this day I'm not sure I'm the most informed person to comment on this confusing situation. I can only go by the two days I spent at the original Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California earlier this month.

First I will explain what brought about these changes. They resulted from some people with disabilities, allegedly, who hired wealthy people to abuse the privilege of jumping past the line-ups for the rides. (I say 'allegedly' because some of these people may not have been legitimately disabled, but I can't make these judgments since I wasn't there.)

When I got there two weeks ago, I did not experience any ill treatment from park staff. The only thing that made me squirm was getting photographed by a staff member when my parents and I were entering the Disney California Adventure park. Taking photos of guests is standard procedure for everybody, and I think it has to do with matters of security.

The Disney parks and resorts in California, Florida and France, based on my personal (and limited) observations, have treated me well. It's true I'm no longer allowed to skip through the lines, as a result of these changes, but I'm okay with that. I want to be treated as an equal everywhere I go.

I didn't go on many rides during my second-ever visit to Disneyland, but let's face it, I'm older than I was the first time and am not the same physically as I was in my younger days.

Some attractions do not require people to transfer out of their wheelchairs due to the availability of modified carts. This includes It's a Small World, my all-time favourite. That was the first attraction we went to in the original Disneyland park during our second full day in Anaheim.

One criticism I have are the high ticket prices. They keep going up every year. I agree with people who aren't planning to go on rides ought to be charged a smaller ticket price. It's a complicated issue, and I don't have all the answers or solutions. Most theme parks do not offer much price flexibility, so this is seen as another standard practice.

Chances are I will not be visiting Disneyland again in the near future. It's not due to any feelings of animosity or resentment. It is a matter of personal economics. In the event I have a family of my own (and a better personal income), I will find a way to return.

I loved being at Disneyland again, and I have no regrets about going back.

1 comment:

  1. Did you use the new pass system? Also to be fair a lot of the E rides you can not do. So we do not know the impact on those. How long did you wait to get the DAS pass if you did. Thanks for writing

    ReplyDelete

My remembrances of Gordon Lightfoot

It was one year ago today that Canada and the world bid farewell to Gordon Lightfoot. I never met him, though there are three personal anecd...