Friday 17 July 2020

My 16th nominee for Best Beatle Solo Album/1968-1980


My 16th and final nominee in the Beatles Solo Project is Double Fantasy, the album from 1980 that John Lennon shared with Yoko Ono. It was the last John solo album released during his lifetime.

The concept behind Double Fantasy is a musical dialogue, or 'heart play,' between them as a married couple. Many of the songs he wrote for the album were written during his five years away from music. "(Just Like) Starting Over" is an excellent opener that (posthumously) went to #1. "Watching the Wheels" was his attempt to explain why he left the limelight for five years. "Beautiful Boy," written for his son Sean, showed how much he loved being a devoted dad to him. John demonstrated that he had grown and matured during his retirement, while maintaining a sharp wit (e.g. "Cleanup Time"). "Woman" is a love song to Yoko, and about his respect for all women. While he may have failed to achieve world peace, he managed to find peace within himself. Yoko herself declares at the end of the album, "Hard Times Are Over."

Double Fantasy holds deep meaning for me as it was the first John Lennon album I ever heard. It was released on November 17, 1980. I first heard it three weeks later, on December 9, the day after John was assassinated. My mom rushed out to the nearby record store and bought it as soon as she learned he had died. It got played a lot over the next few weeks. I had heard some Beatles songs prior to this album's release. I gradually got to know more of their music, both together and individually, partly due to Double Fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My remembrances of Gordon Lightfoot

It was one year ago today that Canada and the world bid farewell to Gordon Lightfoot. I never met him, though there are three personal anecd...