Saturday 24 December 2011

From the Archives: "My brief encounter with Eartha Kitt" (12/28/2008)

On Christmas Day I heard that Eartha Kitt had died of colon cancer at the age of 81. Hearing the news of her death made me think back to the time I met her. It was in February 1983, and I was nine years old at the time. She was in Toronto performing at the Royal York Hotel. She was also there for the Variety Club Telethon (Ontario Tent 28) held there.

The memories are getting fuzzier now with the passage of time, but I do recall her having quite a presence. Though I didn't know much about her at the time, I knew that she had a wonderful voice and a classy stage presence. She was very sweet and classy towards me and everyone else she met with on the night she appeared on the show. I know I have her autograph somewhere in one of my books.

Since meeting her I've become more acquainted with her music and career. This includes listening to hits like the Christmas classic "Santa Baby," and also her renditions of "C'est Si Bon" and "Ain' Misbehavin'." I've seen her as Catwoman in the '60s TV show Batman, and in films like St. Louis Blues with Nat King Cole. I've also heard her sultry voice in Disney's The Emperor's New Groove.

Eartha Kitt was one of the first celebrities I met, and one of the best. RIP Miss Kitt.

No comments:

Post a Comment