Tuesday 13 December 2011

My favourite obscure Christmas song

There's a wonderful Christmas song from the mid-1980s that I wish more people would cover. It's called "When You Love Someone (It's Christmas Everyday)." It was composed by comedian Redd Foxx, of the '70s sitcom Sanford & Son. Gladys Knight & The Pips is one act I know of that recorded it in 1986, as a B-side to the single "Send It to Me." The only other artist I know who performed it was Stephanie Mills. She sang it on the Motown Merry Christmas special in 1987. Coincidentally, it was co-hosted by Redd Foxx.

You can get Gladys Knight's version on a 2-disc various artists collection called Season's Greetings in the 20th Century Masters series. It's a shame that more people don't know about "When You Love Someone," because it captures the heart of the season perfectly.

Here's a clip of Stephanie Mills singing it on the Motown special - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqgo3q4dFsQ.

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie killed that song!

    & I don't know why, but Redd Foxx writing it is blowing my mind!!

    ReplyDelete