Saturday 20 June 2020

My 7th nominee for Best Beatle Solo Album/1968-1980


My 7th nominee in the Beatles Solo Project is Red Rose Speedway, Paul's second album with Wings. A #1 album when first released in 1973, it also has a reputation of being both panned and misunderstood. 


I didn't think much of it when I first heard it on cassette back in the early '90s. "My Love" was the album's only major hit, but that wasn't enough to convince me of how underrated it is. The version of RRS I actually recommend is the original double-album that Macca and his band-mates proposed, but rejected by their label, EMI. 


It has a stronger song selection and it shows that this was intended to be an ensemble band effort. On their first album, Wild Life, they were hungry but not ready. RRS changed that. The reconstructed original (the cover with the white background) is available on vinyl, or can be downloaded on iTunes. If you can't afford buying the single CD version on the RRS box set, downloading it is just as good. You can read more about the original RRS at https://www.paulmccartney.com/news-blogs/news/red-rose-speedway-the-double-album.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My remembrances of Gordon Lightfoot

It was one year ago today that Canada and the world bid farewell to Gordon Lightfoot. I never met him, though there are three personal anecd...